Friday, January 8, 2010

Weekend Assignment #298: To Meme or not to meme

Since this is magic number 300 for the Weekend Assignment, Karen wants to know what kind of memes we usually participate in.

Weekend Assignment #300: In 2004, John Scalzi proposed the first Weekend Assignment, designed "to give AOL Journalers something to post over the weekend." Over the years the blogging community has had a huge proliferation of blogging "memes" - questions to answer, themed photo challenges, lists, writing prompts and quizzes of all sorts. What internet memes, if any, do you participate in these days?


I would say none, but that doesn't make sense since I am here. But I don't do many at all. I like doing Karen's here, when I remember of course, because it requires more thought and usually a bit of fun putting it together. At least for me. I'm not a big fan of the types of memes where you just answer 50 questions. That's too much like school work. I've been out of school too long to do that type of thing.

I also participate in Carly's  Ellipsis Phtoto Shoot Mondays. Thought I've been a little lax there as well. I started it after Karen handed it over to Carly, but not because of that! I had been thinking about it for a while, but never thought of myself as much of a photographer. Then decided that it doesn't matter since it was just for fun. 

That brought me to joining a group on Flickr where we have to post a picture a day called 3sixty5. I've had a lot of fun there, and learned some things by taking a look at photos by people who know what they are doing.

That's really about all I participate in. Sometimes I will jump into a particular thread running through Twitter, but not very often. It has to really interest me and be a fun topic. Not many are.

Extra Credit: Is there a particular category of memes you particularly enjoy, as a blogger or as a reader?

I guess the photography ones as of now. Ask me next month as I may change my mind by then.

1 comment:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Heck, I'm honored this one is on your very short list!

I'm tryi8ng to remember whether I've seen this 3sixty5 thing. IO don;t think so. But have you seen Worth1000? It's too advanced for me, but fun to look at.