Thursday, March 19, 2009

I have a few letters Syfy can use

As you may have heard, the SciFi channel has changed it's name to SyFy in order to change it's geeky image. You can read about it here.


Like most people, I think it is kind of dumb. It's fine to change your name to change your image, look at Prince, he does it every 10 years or so. Puff Daddy, or whatever his name is now, has changed his about 6 times in the last decade. So, go ahead, change away. But, (you knew there was going to be a but, right?) I think Syfy is a little goofy. I came up with some better letters. What about, WTF? I'm serious. Just follow along.

First of all, everyone is talking about the name change. Basically, from what I have read, most of them boil down to WTF? Wouldn't it be cool if that is what they changed their name to. It would be genius!

Also, their biggest, and best reviewed show, Battelstar Galactica, is ending this week. You know when a show like that has it's finale, not everybody is going to be happy. Look at The Sopranos. Since many people are going to be saying WTF? when the show ends, wouldn't it be great if that is what they had changed their name to on the same week?

Let's not forget that a new BSG related show is coming out next year called Caprica. They are basically letting us know already that it is not going to be anything like BSG, and be more like a soap opera. Again, a perfect time to say WTF? At least it looks like you know what the people are going to be thinking.

Another point, look at some of their programming. For the most part, most of the shows make you say, WTF? anyway. Some for good reason, X-files, Stargate, BSG, Eureka; and some for less good reasons; Mansquito anyone? Not to mention on Tuesdays all of a sudden wrestling comes on. Really? WTF? That never made sense to me anyway. Now, if it was cyborg wrestling, that would be cool!

I know you may be thinking to yourself, how would they get that name changed approved by the Big Cheeses at Universal or the FCC. Well, most of those people are so out of touch you could tell them that WTF? stands for anything. They are all clever people over at Syfy, I'm sure they could have come up with something. Heck, they could have gone all BSG on them and said it stood for What the Frak? It's not like any of them know what Frak means. I mean how else do you get the KFC Frak Pack approved as a tie-in? (They did change the name of that promotion by the way. I'm sure someone's kid let them know what it means).

So, come on SciFi channel, take a chance. As Joel Goodsen said, sometimes you just have to say WTF?

9 comments:

Cookie said...

WTF?!

That is the stupidest thing I've heard all week and it's been a week.

That channel doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. This name change is not going to help them any.

And since when is being a geek a bad thing?! Last time I checked, geeks make the world work.

WTF?!

Mike said...

Cookie: Yeah! What you said! :) they are getting a lot of press though. Maybe it wasn't so dumb?

Dreamybee said...

It sounds like the other ideas they have about re-branding aren't bad-the tie-in games, etc., so why not just change the way people feel about SciFi (Huh. I thought SciFi was just for geeks, but it looks like I might have been wrong) instead of changing the way SciFi is spelled (huh. I thought SciFi was just for geeks, but now it seems like it is just for people who are too dumb to realize that SyFy is SciFi spelled with "y"s.) Argh. So frustrating when you just have to sit back and watch the stupid happen.

Anonymous said...

I don't watch Sci-Fi so I have no opinion. :)

Mike said...

Dreamybee: Overall they aren't too bad, I'm not sure what the name change is going to accomplish--except confuse those who already watch the channel.

DC: okay, I'll count you on agreeing with me then. :)

Florinda said...

I like your idea. "Syfy" is definitely a WTF already.

Mike said...

Florinda: Thanks. I don't know if they will bite, though. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is pretty dumb. But I want to hear more about the KFC Frak Pack. That didn't really happen, did it? Please tell me it's real. I want to believe.

Mike said...

Unfocused: Oh it did. I saw it with my own eyes while watching TV. They have now changed the name of it. But, see here for more.