Tuesday, May 5, 2009

It's amazing how one extra push of the snooze button can affect your day

Have you ever noticed how sleeping that extra 7, 8, or 9 minutes that the snooze button gives you can throw you off track? It's does for me. 

Take today, for instance. I started off okay, got it the shower with no problems, but that was about all that went as planned. I went to the laundry room to check on my pants in the dryer. Unfortunately, the clothes in there were still a bit damp-ish, so I had to turn it on a bit longer. Not a big deal, I had to shave anyway. 

After shaving, I took out the pants, and they were all twisted up; basically unwearable, unless I work in a cave where nobody will see me. So I straighten them a bit, and throw them back in the dryer to de-wrinkle. No time for an iron, if I knew how to use one. 

Again, not a huge deal since I had to get a lunch together. The shirt was okay, so I put that on and searched for something to eat. At this point it was about 6:25 am, when I should be on the road. I grab a frozen meal, and get some cereal for the morning. Of course it's a brand new box, do I have to wrestle with the packaging to get it open. I shove that in my bag, grab my pants, work on the wrinkles still in them, put on my shoes and coat, and head for the door.

Keys. Where are they? Oh yeah, they are in my pants in the bedroom. Run up the stairs, get the keys, run down and leave. It is now 6:35 am. I work at 7 am. 

Luckily the stop lights were cooperating; at least in the beginning. I did get stopped at one that I was hoping I'd miss. It is a long light. 

I did make it to work on time (6:55 am) but not as early as I'd like. See, when I go in I take over for someone; it takes a few minutes to explain what has been done, and what needs to be done. 

So, was that it? No. It wasn't. I had a bit of trouble logging into the computer, of course, and I didn't realize one program didn't come up properly. I noticed it about two hours later. It made for some make-up work. 

Oh, then when I went to eat my lunch, I realized I forgot a fork. Lasagna is not easy to eat with bare hands. 

The moral of the story? Get up when your alarm goes off. Will I learn this lesson? No. I never learn this lesson. 

No comments: