Friday, May 15, 2009

Worst idea for a game show. EVER!

There we were, minding our own business, watching The Soup on E!; then it happened. The Soup ended and something else came on. Something horrible. Make that Horrible. Really, it deserves a capital H. That show was Fake Or Real. A game show of such ridiculous proportions that Jenn and I both thought it was a joke. I thought it was actually the beginning of Chelsea Lately and we were going to be mercifully spared. But it wasn't a joke. 

For those of you who couldn't guess by the title (and really, I give you all the respect in the world for not knowing; you are a better person for it) it's a game show (?) where three people come out and the judges have to guess who had plastic surgery. So, as I've seen others describe it, it's like To Tell the Truth, but much sleazier. Though I will admit that the girl in the first segment who actually had the surgery looked the most normal. I didn't get the story, but in her before shot she was quite overweight and I believe she had a gastric bypass surgery to help her out. I believe all of them had some surgery, the judges had to decide who had all five surgeries, or something like that, the bleached blond, over-bosomed, lady was an easy guess. I guess that's why she was out there. 

But, to my point, do we need a show like this? Who came up with this idea? Who gave it the go-ahead? I want to know. I think this has to be the worst idea for a game show ever. Sure, you could bring up Fox's spectacular Moment of Truth which seemed to be designed to break up families. It was like the worst episodes of Maury and Springer all rolled together without the lame wrap-up by the host. But that show only ruined one, maybe two, families at a time. This new show basically goes out of it's way to show how great plastic surgery can be to all the people out there watching it. Especially impressionable teenage and slightly older girls. Gee, thanks E!, we don't have enough trouble making our kids feel good about themselves without having you show how "good" the surgeries can be. 

One of the judges was none other than Dr. Creepy himself; Dr. Rey from Dr. 90210. First of all, he's a plastic surgeon, he should be able to tell, right? Not to mention how weird it was to have him hold up the instruments used for the procedures to see if the contestants knew what they were for.

 Second, I've said it already, he's creepy. He's the embodiment of what is wrong with plastic surgery. On his show he basically tells the person what is wrong with them and tells them how to fix it. He's all about using surgery to help your self esteem. Thanks Doc! 

I only saw the first segment, but I did over hear on the TV that in the next segment the judges had to figure out who was a man before the surgery. Wow! That's something ripped right out of the Maury playbook. 

In summary, stay away from this show. I beg you. I don't want it to stay on! 

Before I end this I want to say that I don't think all plastic surgery is bad. I know there are many cases when it is necessary. This show isn't about that at all. That's why it ticks me off. 

I need to go to bed now. I'm worn out. 





 


3 comments:

Florinda said...

Thank you for giving me one more good reason not to watch ANYTHING on E!. That is just. too. much.

dc said...

Hey there...I'm back from the abyss! Well, only for a moment. Since I moved and live much closer to work then I changed my work schedule and work later and go to the gym right after. So, when I get home I really don't want to be online. I've been pretty busy the last couple of weekends but, I had a spare moment right now before heading out and wanted to drop in and say hello. I'll only be around sporadically and will not be blogging anymore but, I'll try to come by and drop a comment when I can. Hope you and the family are doing great!

Mike said...

Florinda: The Soup is the only show worth watching on the channel. Mostly the rest is garbage.

DC: Thanks for coming by. Everyone is doing great, thanks. You need to tell your boss to allow you guys to be online again. I need all the visitors I can get. Come back when you can!