Thursday, May 28, 2009

Weekend Assignment #268: I love a parade

Actually I don't really, but Karen wants to hear about parades since we just celebrated Memorial Day. 

Weekend Assignment #268: In some communities, Memorial Day is celebrated in part by a local parade. Have you ever appeared in a parade, or at least attended one? Details, please! Note that I'm asking about any parade, not just a Memorial Day one.

I know I was never in a parade. Or, at least I can't remember one that I was in, nor can I think of a reason I would have been in one. I was only in Cub Scouts for about 6 months and band for even less time. Neither were my style. 

I have been to parades as a kid, but it's been a long time since I've seen one. The kids have gone to a few with Jenn since I work on holidays all the time. It's not like they've been deprived of the experience. 

When I was younger we used to go to the Fourth of July parade up the street from our house. I think the only reason I went was for the candy that they would toss out. Oh, and one year my friend's little brother was in it. He was in some drum and bugle corps thing. I never really got a big thrill out of them though. I'm not sure why. Maybe it was the noise. Maybe it was because I had to stand for so long and I could never see anything anyway. 

So, there is my exciting parade post. Sorry about that. 

 Extra Credit: Have you ever studied to play a band instrument? (No band camp jokes, please.)

Like I said above, I was in band for a very short time. I played the clarinet and I wasn't very good. I quit only a few months in, and the band director was not very happy with me. Mostly it was because my brother did the exact same thing the year prior. Maybe he felt we were wasting his time, I don't know. It's not like I was ever going to be the next "Bleeding Gums" Murphy or anything.

Anybody else like parades a little more than me? 

2 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

At least you answered the question, and amusingly as usual. Extra points for the Simpsons reference. Thanks!

Mike said...

Karen: I was trying to think of a funny clarinet player to use, but Bleeding Gums was all I could come up with.