Thursday, July 9, 2009

Weekend Assignment #274: The Pursuit of Happiness

Wow, Karen didn't pick an easy assignment topic this week. Sure, it goes with the Independence Day theme, but it's not all that easy to answer the question she poses this week.

Weekend Assignment: #274: How do you personally pursue Happiness?


See what I mean? It's not like I lead a miserable life, or anything, but putting this kind of answer into words isn't all that easy. At least, words that other people can understand since everybody's perception of happiness is different.

I guess, for me, it depends on the situation. Sometimes music can make me happy. Or, at least more content. For example, lately I've been listening to my iPod at work much more. Mostly when I'm bored or restless while I'm there. Or, when there is nobody at work that I really talk to much. See, we all have rotating shifts to different degrees, so there can be days when I'm working with people that I don't know as well as others. I know that doesn't make much sense, but I can't really explain it. It's not like I don't know who everybody at work is, just that I know some people better than others. So, on some days work can be really boring and long, that's when I break out the iPod to keep me motivated and in a good mood. It works pretty well.

A good comedy, either or TV or movie, can make me happy, too. Actually, sometimes I like to watch bad movies that crack me up in ways that they are not meant to be funny. I guess that is why I like Mystery Science Theater 3000 so much. Usually, when I'm watching one of these bad movies, I'll hop onto Twitter and make some jokes about it. I know most people don't get them, or even see them, but it makes me feel better just to make those lame jokes.

Last, but not least, would be my family, of course. With the kids I try to have fun with them playing video games. It makes me happy because they are doing something I enjoyed as a kid, though with much better graphics. And with Jenn, I like to try to get out alone on occasion. That always makes me happy. It just doesn't happen enough.

Extra Credit: How do you know when you've caught it?

I guess I know, because I'm not all stressed out. Just ask Jenn, I get like that a lot.



2 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Music, humor and family. All good stuff!

Mike said...

Karen: Kind of a triple threat, no? :)