Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What a week I'm having!

Quick, what movie is the title from?

I'm on the midnight shift, which is bad enough, but, since this was a holiday weekend, of course our son was also sick.  He has strep throat. Again. It's the third time in about 2 months. The doctor said if he gets it again before October his tonsils have to come out. Let me just tell you how much I'm looking forward to that. How do they do it these days anyway? He said it was outpatient, so does that mean it's some kind of laser surgery? You know they do everything with lasers these days. I want to know when they are going to have laser scissors for home use. Won't that be cool? Or, how about a laser lawnmower?

Anyway, since he was sick, the two of us stayed home on the 4th and played some video games and watched some TV. It wasn't exciting, but it worked out in a way since I had to go into work that night. I got to sleep as much as I wanted to the first day after work, but since he wasn't getting better (this was before we had the diagnosis) it made the rest of the week interesting. Jenn took the morning off on Monday, took him to the doctor, then I got up and she went to work. I got about four hours of sleep that day. That wouldn't be terrible, but when I'm working the midnight shift I need a lot of sleep.

After Jenn came home from work I tried to take a nap, but I couldn't sleep. I think I was worried I wouldn't wake up. I'm not sure. So on Tuesday, today, I took the kids over to my mom's house and I tried to sleep there. It didn't work out too well. The kids were really loud, and they came to wake me up a couple of times. Once to tell me they were hungry. Why they had to come and tell me that instead of my mom who was in the same room as them, I'll never know. But I wasn't very happy about that. And I let them know that.

So, yes, I'm a little cranky, and tired. But, at least my week of midnights is over after I get home. I think I'm going to fall asleep as soon as the my head hits the pillow. Maybe sooner. Hopefully I wait until I get home at least.

And, since I'm crabby, I'll ask you a question. Does it annoy you when you are driving and there is a lane closed up ahead and some dickweed has to drive all the way up to the barricade before he merges over to the open lane? Do you want to plow right into that car as much as I do? Now, I'm not talking about when the person can't see it because there is a huge line of cars and nobody knows what's going on. I'm talking about that guy that is diving in the lane next to you, and slightly behind, and nobody is in front of him, and he keeps driving and finally gets a little ahead of you and makes you slow down so he can get in front of you. Even when there is nobody behind you and he could have pulled behind you. But no, he has to get in front of you so he can get to that red light .015 seconds ahead of you, even though he isn't going anywhere. Just wait until I got those lasers installed in the front of my car.

Okay, I'm done. I need to sleep. Can you tell?

3 comments:

Florinda said...

Don't drive in LA. The roads are full of those people. Apparently, some folks were never taught the concepts of sharing and waiting their turns in kindergarten or something.

So yes, it annoys me too :-).

Cookie said...

I hope your son is feeling better soon and that you can get caught up on sleep.

I hate those people. They don't deserve to drive. Talk about freakin' special snowflakes. o.0

Mike said...

Florinda: I drove in LA once a little over 5 years ago. Not much, mind you, but i remember it taking an eternity to get to our hotel from LAX. Not due to distance, just traffic. And it was kind of late, too. I don't know how you deal with it.


Cookie: He's much better now, thanks. Though I did realize I forgot to give him his medicine this morning. Oops. I got a decent amount of sleep yesterday so I feel more human. :)