Monday, November 17, 2008

Random weekend bits

Let me start by saying I forgot to put my deodorant on this morning. I hope you don't notice. Jenn picked up some for me the other day and since I used it in the downstairs basement that next morning, and left it there, I forgot to put it on. I think everyone here at work is at a safe distance.

I think I may have alluded to this before, but we are not the most organized family. Far from it. I'm sure 97.8 percent of it is my fault, but I think Jenn would agree that she isn't perfect either. As an example, here is something that happened this weekend. I came home from work around 2:30 pm to an empty house. Jenn and the kids were at her parents doing some shopping for a birthday party we had Sunday. After I took off my coat  and played with Quincy for a few minutes, I noticed the light was flashing on the phone indicating we had a voice mail. I looked at the caller ID first, just to make sure I really wanted to listen to it, and noticed it was the kid's school. I thought it was strange, being a Saturday and all, so I played back the message. It was the school letting us know our Market Day food we ordered was there and ready for us to pick up. They would be there until 1:30pm. I could almost hear her saying, "I really want to go home losers, where the hell are you?" Needless to say we didn't get the food. Maybe we aren't the only ones to do this, but we both felt a little dumb. I did have a little fun with it though. I called Jenn's cell and said, "I have two words for you: Market Day." I believe she said a bad word. I knew she'd remember as soon as I said that.  Yes, there was a reminder in the school papers that were sent home. That probably ended up in the same place that our son's information on his presentation he is supposed to do this week did. Yes, we are great parents.

I had to work at 6 am both days this weekend. I am not a morning person to begin with, having me start at 6 am is just plain mean. Yesterday, as Jenn was getting ready for the birthday party, I was laying on the bed talking to her and I fell asleep a few times. You know, the human body isn't made to get up and work for two hours before sunrise. I don't care what you say. Well, maybe it is only my body. I need a shift that starts at 9 am and ends around lunchtime. Are there any jobs like that? (I'm fully expecting my sister to chime in here. She's in retail, so basically she is going to be working from now until Christmas. I don't know how she does it).

Oh, we got a little snow here yesterday. It wasn't much, and it melted by morning, but when I was walking Quincy most front yards and a nice white layer. I was going to take a picture but, since it was at night, I thought the flash would reflect too much. I know you are sad. Don't worry, I'll take some snowy pictures this year.

Was your weekend as riveting as mine?


Florinda said...

We're really bad about checking our answering machine in a timely manner too. The sad thing is that we get so few messages on it in the first place. "Hey, there's a message! Play it back." "What? This came in on Wednesday?"

And forgetting to put on antiperspirant is one of my secret fears (I guess not so secret now...).

You had snow, we had fires. Trade you next time :-).

Mike said...

Florinda: We are pretty bad too. I don't know why.

I don't think I want that trade. I can still breathe when it snows. :) Though, after the snow is around a long time it starts to look like ash.

dc said...

My weekend was okay. Aside from the fires I just ran some errands and relaxed. Now I'm here to pull out another long workweek...ugh.

Mike said...

DC: What about the hockey game? I think the fires were excitement enough.

Unfocused Me said...

I detest voicemail. If I could get away with it at work, my outgoing message would say "I'm away from my desk right now. Please send me an email and I'll respond as soon as I can, BEEP" and then it would disconnect without allowing a message.

We're terrible about picking up voicemail at home, too. A year or two ago, my wife complained that I hadn't called to tell her I'd be home late from work; I responded that I had, and I had left a voicemail. We checked the phone -- no voicemail signal. I called into the voicemail system anyway, and found that because we had hung up the phone without clearing out a message six weeks earlier, none of our new messages were setting the new message signal. Once I deleted the skipped message, I found that we had around 60 new messages from over the six week period. While about a third of the messages were from me, telling her when I expected to get home from work, most messages were from other people, including several that required very apologetic return calls. I think what happened was that my wife never got any messages, and assumed that if there were any, I was picking them up, and vice versa. We've been more careful since, but still, a day or two delay on voicemail isn't all that unusual for us. You missed it by a couple of hours; don't beat yourself up.

Mike said...

Unfocused: That would be great. Actually, isn't there some service that you can get voicemails over e-mail? It probably requires a certain phone service and internet provider combination.

We've never missed that many messages, but wehave certainly had our troubles.