Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A good start to the week

It was not a pleasant start to the week in our household. Let me tell you a little about it.

On Sunday, according to every calendar (except the one in our laundry room) Sunday is the start of the week, I worked during the day, then we went to a party at night. There are a group of us from work that were hired on the same date, so we got together to celebrate our tenth anniversary. It was fun. We all work different shifts, and different day off rotations, so we don't get to see each other as much as most co-workers do. It's interesting to see how much things have changed since we were hired. Some have gotten married, kids have been added, one has a daughter in college now; in other words, we are all getting old.

Anyway, since the party was on a Sunday we knew we wouldn't be able to stay long because the kids had school the next day. That worked out well for me. After we ate I felt lousy. I was pretty sure it was my acid reflux/ulcer problems kicking in because of the pasta sauce. So, we packed it up and left there just before 8 pm. The party was only a few miles from the house so we were home and had the kids in bed by 8:30pm, not too bad for a school night.

Because of my (what I thought) acid reflux I planned on sleeping downstairs in the recliner. For those of you who don't have the problem, laying down with acid reflux is not fun. Not that sitting up helps much, but it's better than laying down. Anyway, by about 1:00am, I realized it was something different. I won't go into details, but it was a long night. I posted a message on Twitter (are you on Twitter? Why not?) about how I'd rather have the little alien bursting out of my gut like in the movie Alien. No alien came out, though at times I wasn't so sure it wouldn't happen.

When Jenn and the kids got up, I went upstairs to bed to try and get some sleep. Jenn came in about 20 minutes later to say our son wasn't feeling well, she wasn't either, so she was going to stay home, too. So, what we ended up doing was trading off sleeping. I slept until about 11:30 am, then Jenn slept until about 1:30pm, then I went back to bed and slept until about 3:30pm. It was a fun day! I still felt lousy after 5:00pm, so I called in sick for work today as well. I feel better, but not 100 percent.

I've been saying this since since my son was sick last week; I'm glad we are getting this over with before Christmas.  We've had one really bad Christmas, we don't need another one.

There is some virus going around people. I recommend wearing hazmat suits until this passes. Maybe after the winter is over. Save yourselves! 


dc said...

I got sick last week. The day before my b-day to be exact. I went home sick from work so I could be better the next day. However, I was still sick on my b-day. My friend gave me an allergy pill that helped. I'm still a bit congested, but at least over the worst of it. Hope you feel better soon!

Florinda said...

Glad you're on the road to recovery - and hey, let's hope the week HAS to get better after a start like that!

So far, no one around here has been really sick this winter - my stepdaughter missed a couple of days of school two weeks ago, but sometimes it's hard to tell with her how much of it is "sick of school" and how much is "sick," period.

But yeah, it does suck to be sick over Christmas - so hopefully none of you will be!

Mike said...

DC: Unfortunately, allergy medicine wouldn't have helped me, one the other hand I feel a lot better already. That stinks that you were sick on your birthday. Especially a big one.

Florinda: Thanks. Luckily i'm off tomorrow anyway, so I get another day of rest.

It's a tough call, but I'm going to go with "sick of school" for your step-daughter. :)

Unfocused Me said...

That sounds awful; I'm glad you're starting to feel better. Are you sure it wasn't food poisoning from the party?

Mike said...

Unfocused: Thanks. No, I'm pretty sure it wasn't food poisoning. My son was sick not long ago; I think it just made it's way to me finally.