Thursday, February 26, 2009

The big 4-0(h, boy)

Well, it's official; I'm old. No longer can I pretend that college wasn't all that long ago, or that maybe the high school kids I see walking around won't think I'm an old man, or I still have enough time to get better at golf to join the PGA tour. (I still might have time for The Champions Tour). Time to put away the Rollerblades so I don't break a hip. I have to remember not to try the kid's skateboards when the get a little older. I can't expect to drink a lot of beer and not feel miserable for the next day or two.

Now is the time to update my iTunes library. I need to get rid of Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Queensryche and Swap in some Lawrence Welk and Glen Miller. Okay, maybe I'm going a little too far. They guys in the bands I listed are older than me, so I guess I'm fine there.

Do I feel any different? No, but when I was a kid I never thought I'd get here. Remember when you were in grade school, and how old all your teachers seemed? Most of them weren't 40 and they seemed old. Then you'd have one or two teachers that were in there 50's and they seemed ancient. Now, that is me. It's funny, many times when I go pick up the kids at school I feel like I'm too young to be there; too young to have kids in school. Then I look around and notice most of the parents are younger than me. Heck, the principal just had his birthday and he is only 20 years older than me. A principal should be at least 40 years older than me, or so it seems. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't feel old. That's a good thing, right?

I was thinking of old birthday memories the other day. I was telling my son how I had the chicken pox on (I think) my eight birthday. He asked me what I did for my birthday and he seemed disappointed that I just had the neighbor kids over for some pizza and watched some movies. I didn't tell them the movies were on a projector and screen. I didn't want to blow his mind with the ancient-ness of that technology.

My 16th was kind of interesting. My mom and step-dad were divorced, or in the process of getting divorced, so I wasn't really expecting anything. After school my friend, who was a grade behind me, asked if I could come over to help him with some math homework. So, being the good guy I was, I went to help him out. Then we went back to my house for dinner. (We had dinner at each other's house quite a bit). When I got there, about five other friends were there to surprise me. I really didn't expect it. I don't remember much else about the party, except that I got Journey Frontiers on cassette. I listened to that a lot back then.

My next big birthday was my 21st. Do we really want to talk about it? It's kind of blurry anyway. I remember going out with some friends to a bar (duh), cracking my head on a small table by the dart boards, having a shot called a Gorilla Fart, almost losing it after that shot, and going around to people's rooms asking for Pepto-Bismol. Somewhere in there I was recorded by my friends as they asked me where Jimmy Hoffa was buried, and while I played harmonica in the hallway at around 2am. Good times.

I think the last time I got together with friends was for my 30th. I think we all met at my house and went to the bar up the street to see a Rush tribute band. Speaking of which, I see they still play around here, though it doesn't seem anybody that was in the band when I saw them is still in the band.

Still, I think my 40th has been the best so far. Sure, I'm working today, but I got to go out to San Diego with Jenn and have a fun, relaxing time. That's the kind of thing us 40 year-olds need. Am I right? Another thing we need is this:



My daughter picked this out for me. She is either going to be in advertising, or be one of those ladies that has a ton of junk in there house. She can recite almost any commercial. Sigh, she is just like me. I feel sorry for her.

I think iTunes has been reading my post. Some songs it has chosen: Creeping Death, Rest in Piece, My Last Words, Among the Living. No, I'm not kidding.

Now, If you will excuse me, I need to go to Walgreen's to buy the reading glasses that are a requirement to be in the 40 and over club.

(Edit to add): I almost forgot, I wanted to say Happy Birthday to Maurissa. Jenn used to work with her and I think she still reads this.

7 comments:

Cookie said...

Happy Birthday, Grandpa!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday old man! I still have a decade before I hit that 40 mark but, I know it will fly by...sigh. Anyways, hope the rest of your day goes well.

Oh, and I just saw your question on that other post and I'm not sure if I'll be blogging again. I may throw something up in the next few weeks. Who knows...lol

Florinda said...

Dude, I am 5 years older than you and I don't carry on like this. Youth is wasted on the young, I say. But the songs your iTunes is shuffling up there are just too funny.

My husband and I talk about how when we were kids, the idea that we would be in our mid-30s in the year 2000 sounded incredibly old and far away - and here we are now, almost ten years after that, and still kids at heart (and in brain, much of the time).

My 40's have been a pretty good decade so far - hopefully yours will be, too. Happy birthday, and enjoy the Snuggie!

(I've been running behind on blog-reading all week and was afraid I'd missed your big day - glad to see I didn't!)

Anonymous said...

Happy late birthday Mike! Now, I think you should post a photo of you wearing the snuggie. :-) I still can't believe how popular that thing has become. Crazy! That and those sham wows.

Mike said...

Cookie: Thanks. Thanks a lot. :)

DC: It does go fast. Thanks, work was okay.

Florinda: I was (mostly) kidding. I don't feel too bad about it. It just came faster than I thought. :)

I have a feeling my daughter is going to take over the Snuggie. Thanks!

Suzanne: thanks! They are popular almost because they are a joke. Don't forget the Slap Chop! ;)

Dreamybee said...

Happy Birthday! Don't forget to buy one of those chains for your glasses so they don't fall off your face and get lost. :)

Mike said...

Dreamybee: Oh, I forgot about that. Thanks! :)