Saturday, February 21, 2009

No sleep 'til Sunday

I'm halfway through my second-to-last midnight shift, which is good, I don't think I can take much more. If there is one thing worse than working the midnight shift it is working the midnight shift with a cold. Then the fun part starts when you get in bed to go to sleep and immediately start coughing. Good times!

Yesterday, after my shift, I went to my daughter's preschool class for Dad's and Donuts day. It was fun, but let me tell you, when the teacher was reading us a story I almost fell asleep. I could have curled up on the little carpet there and slept until it was time for the kids to go home. It would have been perfect. Instead I went home and coughed in bed for 3 or 4 hours. I'm pretty sure I slept a little bit; at least I'm not hallucinating yet.

Guess what we have going on tonight and into tomorrow? A winter storm! Woo! I'm so terribly excited. I think I need to go out and find that groundhog and have a little talk with him. I think I can persuade him to change his forecast. Groundhogs have kneecaps, right? (Sorry, PETA).

I forgot to record the last Conan O'Brien show. I haven't watched his show a whole lot, but I wanted to see it. Did anyone watch it? Anything special, or fun about it? Did Bette Midler sing to him?

Last night I was watching one of the MST3K episodes from the 20th anniversary set while I was at work. (There can be some down time in the middle of the night). I had to turn it off at one point because I was laughing too hard. I thought the people around me were going to thing I was losing my mind. The same thing happened when I was watching a different episode on the airplane. Luckily, one guy was sleeping and the other guy had on some giant noise-canceling headphones. I've never tried those headphones. I wonder if you feel totally isolated from the outside world; like you are in some kind of sensory deprivation chamber but only deprived of outside sounds. I can't imagine eating chips or pretzels with those on. I don't want to hear myself chew. Anyway, if you don't have the 20th anniversary MST3K set, you need to get it. I mean it.

Okay, I need to do some work. Have a good day. Hope you have nicer weather than we do.


3 comments:

Unfocused Me said...

Sorry to hear about your midnight shifts with the cold.

And those headphones are awesome if you fly a lot.

Florinda said...

Thanks for reminding me I need to look for that MST3K 20th-anniversary DVD again. I couldn't find a copy before Christmas.

Hope you're feeling better by the time you read this :-).

Mike said...

Unfocused: They seem bulky, but since I saw half the plane with them one, I believe you.

Florinda: You need to get it. I've watched three of the four DVDs so far, there are great.