Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Winter Vacation: Part Deux - Electric Boogaleux

Where did I leave off...

Before I get into day two I need to mention something I forgot about day one, also known as Saturday. When we were eating breakfast at the hotel we saw somebody that we know, or seemed familiar, or something. We know he is an actor, and we have seen him on some show, but we are still not sure which show. We tried searching on Google, but nothing comes up when you type, "some guy on some show we have seen some time in the last few years." Someone needs to design a search engine that can do those types of searches.

On Sunday we decided to eat a light breakfast in our room. The person serving us probably thought we were a little strange. Who orders Frosted Flakes with bacon and toast? Even if it is part of a complete breakfast! Sadly, this was no cheaper than eating a full breakfast in the restaurant.

Since it was a much sunnier day than Saturday, we spent much more time walking on the course. The breeze was a little chilly, but it was still nice. We realized just how big the golf course was since we were able to walk around without fear of being drenched. I'm still not sure we saw it all.

After walking around for a few hours we decided to go back to get some lunch at the lodge. Why spend nine dollars on a hamburger when you can spend nine dollars on a ham sandwich? That's my new motto. Granted, it was a good sandwich, but not nine dollars good.

This is where we became rule-breakers. We noticed that every time we walked onto the course nobody actually checked if we had a camera. So, we went back to the room and grabbed ours. I wasn't going to take a picture of any of the players on the course, I wanted to get some shots on the course after the tournament was over. Where's the harm in that? I did get this shot of Phil Mickelson signing some autographs after his round. I was still on the lodge grounds, so I wasn't afraid of getting taken down by security.

We decided the best way to watch the end of the tournament was to stand along the 18th hole and watch the people finish. It worked out pretty well. Jenn didn't even complain, even though I know she had to be very bored.

After the tournament ended we walked back towards the coastline to take a few pictures.

I don't remember the hole this was, but I liked the paragliders in the background. There were a lot of those out there all weekend. You wouldn't get me up there.

Here I got a little closer so you can see the guys flying.

This didn't turn out as well as I'd like. It looked pretty neat in real life but the sun made it tough to get the right brightness. I need a filter, or better photoshop skills.

I took this shot to try to give an idea on the size of the course. Those tiny trees in the background are on the course just very far away. There is a large depression the course is built around. It can be a lot of walking.

After all the walking, and picture taking, we went back to the lodge. It was close to dinner time, but we weren't very hungry, so we did what everyone should do on vacation, we went to the bar. We had a few drinks, watched it rain (again), and had some appetizers. The sun came out just before sunset and I was able to take this shot. It probably would have been better without the tents, but the tents were the reason we were there, so it works.

Finally, I took one last picture after night fell. I probably should have taken one of the lodge before the sun went down, but this is the best I have. You might want to turn the brightness up on your computer screen.

We packed and went to bed pretty early on Sunday since we had to get up at 4 am for our ride to the airport. Once again Jenn and I were separated on the plane, but we did get the rows with extra leg room. As an added bonus the neither of my row mates were coughing all over the place, but one lady was a little cranky. She didn't seem to like when I needed to use the bathroom. The flight was over three hours, it requires a potty break.

When we got home we were greeted to some nice posters the kids made and put on the front door. I forgot to take pictures of them. After a minimal debrief, Jenn's parents headed back to their house. I'm sure they were happy to get to their own quiet home. Before they left they mentioned they put some pop in the refrigerator in the garage. Uh oh, I thought, we don't have a fridge in the garage. We do have a freezer, though. I think the picture speaks for itself.

We didn't say anything as they were leaving. They just spent three days with the kids, there was no reason to tell them that they made a mess. Jenn did tell her mom the next day though, mostly because of the effort required to clean it all up.

Now, a week later I think I'm ready to go somewhere again. Our next trip is to Disney World in June; that might be a little different than this trip.


dc said...

I'm ready for a vacation too! I already discussed with a friend on a few places we're considering traveling to this year. I can't wait!

Mike said...

DC: I bet. I say go to Hawaii. That's just because that is where I want to go. :) Oh, or go up the coast to Oregon or Washington. Or, you could just plan your own trip. :)

Florinda said...

We're going to Disneyland for my birthday weekend at the end of March.

Disney World in June is just slightly less hot and humid than July, so be prepared. Then again, January and February are about the only months in Florida that AREN'T guaranteed hot and humid. (I used to live there - I'm allowed to diss the place.)

I like your pictures, and I'm glad you had a good time in spite of rain, malfunctioning locks, and freezer explosions!

Mike said...

Florinda: I was at Disneyland about 10-11 years ago. I don't remember much. :)

I'm hoping it's not too bad in June. I know it's going to be hot, I guess there is no way to avoid it.

Dreamybee said...

Oh no, your freezer! LOL! Sorry, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you...oh...you weren't laughing? Uh...erm...gotta go.