Thursday, February 5, 2009

Weekend Assignment #253: Roughing It

The guest professor this week is Florinda again. Yes, I am a slacker. We all know it. Anyway, this Weekend Assignment, over at Karen's, blog asks:

Weekend Assignment #253: You've got no electricity, no Internet, no phone, and no car for two whole days. What do you do with yourself?

I'd probably curl up in a ball, suck my thumb, and refuse to leave the house for two days. I mean, come on, no Internet? What am I supposed to do? Read something on a printed piece of paper? That is so 20th century.

I'm kidding of course. But, let's try no to let that happen, okay? Please?

First, I'm going to assume this doesn't happen in the dead of winter. That happened to me once and the house got down to the 40's before the power was restored. It wasn't pretty. I did read by the fireplace, though. I felt a little bit like Abraham Lincoln. (He was kind of a big deal to us Illinoisans). I didn't have the Internet to miss at that time, so that wasn't a big deal. The TV though; losing that was painful.

So, yes, I would probably read some things during the day. The newspaper first, to see if I can find out when the power is coming back on, then some books or magazines that are all over the house. I might even re-read something, especially if I get really bored.

Next, I'd have a pig-out session on all the frozen treats currently in the fridge. And maybe some that are not in the fridge. A man needs to keep his strength up in a time of crisis.

I guess I'd have to find something for the kids to do, too. I do think they'd be able to keep themselves entertained with their toys. My son would probably want to play with some of his Star Wars ships with me. I always end up being the bad guy. I'm not sure why. We'd probably play some board game at night, surrounding ourselves with flashlights and candles. It would be like we were at camp. I've never been to camp, so I'm just guessing on that part.

At night we could all sleep in the family room together. I think the kids would be to afraid to sleep on their own. The kids have sleeping bags, and Jenn and I could use some blankets from our bed. Yes, I know it is dark when they close their eyes, they don't seem to understand that it's no big deal to have no power when you are asleep. I don't get it either.

During the second day we would probably start hunting for food. There are plenty of squirrels in the yard at all times. I know it will only be two days, I just don't think we'd be able to hold off that long. I think our animal instincts would kick in after about 12 hours. Or, we'd just go insane. (Okay, it would be me only).

After the lights came on we'd do a little dance to the god of electricity then go to Chili's for dinner. The kids like their children's meals.

Extra Credit: What do you usually do in real life when an evening power shortage leaves you in the dark?

Usually we fumble around trying to find flashlights. Then we fumble around looking for batteries for the flashlights. They are always dead when we need them. If the kids are asleep already it is no big deal. If they are awake one of us will usually go up the bedroom with them until they fall asleep.

So what would you do in the dark for two days?

4 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Your answers to these things are always so entertaining! I know you don;t want this to happen, but frankly, your version of this scenario sounds like a blast.

Mike said...

Karen: Thanks. I don't know if it would actually happen that way, but it would be fun.

Anonymous said...

I'd break out the machete and look for zombies.

Okay, probably not right away. The flashlight situation is a bit of a problem, because Junior keeps running them all down. We have a couple of handcranked flashlights, and a couple of small flashlights we've been able to hide from him, as well as a boatload of candles, so we'd probably be all right for two days. There should be enough food in the refrigerator and pantry to get by, and we have a gas stove so we could cook.
I also have a handcrank charger for my cell phone (because I am a paranoid freak, I keep it in my suitcase and take it on all of my trips), so we'll be able to make calls even if the phones go (as long as there's a cell tower still going).

Florinda said...

I agree with Karen - you almost make this sound fun. Almost.

(And you need to contribute some topic ideas soon, Mr. Slacker :-).)