Wednesday, October 7, 2009

See, I listen sometimes.

Believe it or not, I actually went to the doctor to get my neck and shoulder checked out. As Jenn said, my family likes to see if things like this go away and not go to the doctor, but I went against tradition. I'm a trailblazer. A rebel. You can even say I went rogue. (Maybe I should have someone write a book about me, for me. Zing!)

Anyway, I went to the orthopedic doctor due to Jenn's, her her physical therapist sister's, urging. I was hopping not to need an MRI, but that wasn't the reason why I wasn't racing to go see the doctor, no matter what Jenn says. But, I wasn't looking forward to getting in the tube that looks like a cross between a sun tanning booth and Spock's coffin in Star Trek II.

The doctor came in and asked me what hurts and what I did. Of course, this was the day that everything felt the best, but I did my best to describe the problem. Then he had me perform some tasks. I had to make a fist and squeeze his hand, hold up my arms, push down on his arm, look at the floor, look up, and I think at one point he told me to pull his finger. I don't know why.

Then he started his doctor-speak. I understood, C6 (which was my apartment number in college), impingement, nerve, x-ray and anti-inflamatories. So, I guess I did something in my college apartment and had the nerve to impinge my anti-inflamtories. Whatever that means. All I know is I have some medicine I need to take and do some physical therapy for 6 weeks. The good news is I don't have to go back unless it gets worse. I always hate doing the follow up appointments. "So, everything is good? Great, thanks for wasting an hour! Go pay up front."

The best part of the night was when I took the dogs for a walk and Cruise decided he really needed to go the left when I went to the right. Now everything hurts again. Stupid dog. I thought they are supposed to sense when something is wrong and help you? I'm going to buy a little barrel to put on one of the dog's collars and put my medicine in it so he can bring it to me. Good idea?






2 comments:

Cookie said...

Great idea! Make sure he's carrying water for you, too. Taking pills dry is no fun.

I'm glad you went to the doc and that he didn't torture you too much. I'm also hoping you feel better soon.

Mike said...

Cookie: Thanks. We have two dogs now so I'll make sure one carries water and the other has the pills. :)