Monday, January 12, 2009

It all started with one of my weird food quirks

I went out to the store Sunday to pick up a few items for the house, which included some frozen meals to bring to work. I'm trying to be a good boy and eat some Lean Cuisine-type foods at lunch to save money -- and a few pounds. One of the things I bought was a Philly-style panini. I thought it would be a tasty, easy to eat, thing to bring to work. One problem; when I went to put it in my lunch I decided to check the date on the box. I shouldn't have done that.

I've talked about some of my food fears here before, so I hope you understand and don't think I'm crazy(ier). The date on the box was January 24th, 2009. That's good, right? It's not for another twelve days. No problem. Eat it up! No, I couldn't bring it to work. Think about it; when you buy frozen food (of the big-time processed type) the expiration date is about two years later. So, I ask myself, how long has this been sitting in the freezer at the store? How many times has it defrosted and re-froze because of some kind of freezer malfunction? Yes, this is all the stuff that goes through my head. I don't know how I eat anything.

Needless to say, I left the sandwich at home, and brought something else. When I got to work I realized I forgot to bring a fork, so I had to go to the cafeteria to get one. Then, of course, I look around and decide the Italian sub looks much better than my frozen sesame chicken, so I bring it (and a salad!) and to the register. This is where I got screwed. I think she over-charged me, which is impossible to tell when you have to weigh the salad, and I think she hosed me on my change, too. I hope she had fun trying to figure out why her register balance was off at the end of the day. Serves her right.

As you can see, having weird food issues only goes on to screw up your whole day. Oh, I should mention I was almost late to work. It wasn't directly related to the food, but it's all part of the bad karma thing people talk so much about.

So, am I on the road to becoming Monk, or is there hope for me?

9 comments:

Florinda said...

I'm sure the Lean Cuisine would have been fine. Do yourself a favor and don't look so closely at the box next time :-).

I think you need to tell us about a LOT more quirks before we can diagnose Monk Syndrome :-D.

Jenn said...

Seriously, what is going on with with you?!

Anonymous said...

Mike - if what you worried about was a serious problem, wouldn't Lean Cuisine eaters be dropping like flies all around us?

Anonymous said...

I had a Lean Cuisine pannini yesterday. It had already been sitting in my freezer for about a week. I didn't check the date, but I ate it and survived. I think you would have been okay. :P

I'm weird like that only if the food is pass the expiration date. Especially if it's dairy. If it expires on the day I was going to eat it then I won't eat it.

Mike said...

Florinda: I try, I really do. I think a lot of it came from working in restaurants.

I don't think you want me to get started on my other stuff. :)

Jenn: What? Nothing is new. Just worse.

Unfocused: Maybe. It's all a cover-up. :) Actually, it has more to do with the freezers at the store we go to; they are always broken. They have new ones now, so maybe I'll be better. Maybe.

DC: Don't get me started on dairy. I should say the the panini wasn't Lean Cuisine, but that doesn't matter. I'm glad you're okay. If you ever have any doubts about something, let me know. I'll tell you if you should eat it or not.

Cookie said...

How do you feel about germs, Mr. Monk? ;^)

I don't blame you at all, but I'm a bundle of issues my own self. *L*

Was the salad limp?

Mike said...

Cookie: I'm not terrible with germs, unless somebody is sick in the house. I wash my hands constantly then. I think most people are like that, though.

No, the salad was okay this time. :)

Anonymous said...

But if the freezers go out at the store, then it doesn't matter what the expiration date is. You can't eat *any* frozen foods from that store.

Mike said...

Unfocused: why would I want to make this logical? :)