Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Weekend Assignment # 249: Looking back at 2009

I like this idea. Karen wants us to write up a look back at this year we are just starting. That leaves so many opportunities. I hope she didn't want me to be totally serious. I think she knows me well enough by now to realize I won't.

Weekend Assignment #249: Today is January 2, 2010. Tell us about the most interesting things that happened in 2009, in the world and also in your life in particular.

First off, I want to say thank you to everybody who voted for me in the special election for Barack Obama's senate seat. I figured I was the only one without some ties to the corruption that has been basically running our state for years, so I thought I might have a chance. Of course, because of said corruption, it was impossible for me to win; but, hey, I got some votes. Thanks!

On a related note, though not surprising to me, Gov. Rod Blagojevich was not impeached from the office of governor for our great state of Illinios. It turns out that really wasn't hair on his head. I knew it looked too weird. Who knew it would turn out to be a parasitic alien that was taking over his mind? When you thing about it though, only a crazy person, or alien, would keep having shakedown conversations on his phone when he knew it was being tapped. Unfortunately Glaxord, the alien, got away before we could find out what his true plans were. All I have to say is that I'm going to be watching people's hairdos more closely. You hair stylists and barbers keep your eyes peeled. The world is counting on you.

Back at home, we did end up winning the Mega Millions Jackpot back in July. Our share turned out to be only $45.75 after taxes. Who knew that many people played numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6? Oh well, at least we were still able to buy 400 shares of GM stock. Let's hope they turn it around soon.

On the national front, Barack Obama took office in January. By the second week the economy was completely turned around, all of the terrorists surrendered at once, and the unicorns came back to Earth. It has truly been a year of Change so far! I can't wait for 2010.

Extra Credit: How did you do on your 2009 resolutions, if any?

I didn't do so good there. I still eat all the M&M's I can get my hand on, I don't run as much as I should, and I don't eat right. But hey, I was busy running for that senate seat. Next year will be different.

(Edited to correct the month Obama takes office; because I'm an idiot)

5 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I tried to vote for you, but they wouldn't let me register to vote in Illinois from a Tucson address. Foo!

Florinda said...

You had a fantastic year! And the alien explains so much...too bad you lost the election, though.

Hope you took the family out for a nice dinner (or at least ordered a few pizzas) with those lottery winnings :-)!

Mike said...

Karen: Then you weren't doing it right. You can pretty much be from anywhere and vote in an Illinois election. As long as you are voting for the right person. :)

Florinda: It felt like a good year. I'm hoping for an even better one this year. I hear there may be some openings in California. :)

Anonymous said...

This is too far ahead for me to think about it. All I know is by the end of the year I'll be one year older. :P

Mike said...

DC: That's true. And the Earth will travel once around the Sun. :)