Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Songs ruined by radio

When I was in high school, and even later, I used to like the song "The Zoo" by The Scorpions. Now, I can't even listen to it thanks to classic rock stations. I can listen to any other Scorpion song, but "The Zoo" makes me want to stab a spork in my eye. (Sporks do less damage than forks; it's a fact).

Now, I don't own any albums by The Scorpions, but I enjoy their music and even went to a concert once. It was 20 years ago, but still. But, thanks to radio, that song has been killed. At least to me.

My question to you: What song, or songs, has radio killed for you? Don't worry about being embarrassed about the song; I put up a Scorpions song for Pete's sake.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are several songs off of Steve Winwood's The Finer Things album that I love, but get squirmy listening to because they were so overplayed 20 years ago. A pox on commercial radio and its restrictive corporate playlists!

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those people who, if I like a song, can listen to it over and over again. The only thing that bugs me about radio is when they keep playing songs I don't like. :P

Mike said...

Unfocused: You know, I haven't heard a Winwood song in a while, but you are right, there was a lot of airplay on some of those songs.

DC: For the most part, I'm the same way. Maybe I never really liked the song that much?

Dreamybee said...

Killed how? Did they just overplay it, or do they play some lame "remastered" version of it or something?

You made it to a Scorpions concert?? I totaled my 1977 firebird (yeah, baby!) on the way to a Scorpions concert about 15 years ago. Needless to say, I didn't make it to the concert. Man, was I bummed about that car too!

Mike said...

Dreamybee: Just over-played. I can't stand it anymore.

I saw Scorpions at a Monsters of Rock festival in '88 or '89. It was a fun show, but a little long.