Thursday, January 29, 2009

Weekend Assignment #252: Book Connections

This week Karen has promoted Laura to professor for this week's assignment. I need to come up with some non-lame ideas so I can get a promotion! First, I need to do the assignment:

Weekend Assignment #252: Where do you get books from?

I wish I had some cool place to list like a fun independent bookstore, but I don't.  Actually, I wish there was a place like that around me. Especially one that specialized in genre fiction, but I don't know of one. Anyone know of a store like that in the northwest suburbs of Chicago? Maybe I just missed it.

Anyway, I buy my books at Border's for the most part. I like their rewards program better than Barnes and Noble, and I just like the store better. I will say that Barnes and Noble stocks more of the books that I like, so I do have to go there from time-to-time. I have heard many rumblings of Borders being in financial straits (who isn't right now). I hope they work things out. I don't want them to leave.

There is a bookstore about 45 minutes away that I have been to before called Anderson's Bookshop. They are an independent bookstore, but they are too far from me to go there all the time. I went there when Dave Barry was doing a signing. It is a nice shop and I would recommend it to anyone in the Naperville or Downer's Grove area.



Extra Credit: What was the last book you read, and why?


Acutally I am reading two right now. I have Stephen King's Just After Sunset at home and Allen Steele's Coyote in paperback that I can take with me to work, or wherever. I bought the Stephen King book because I pretty much read all of his stuff. I bought Coyote because I read Spindrift by Allen Steele earlier this year and now I want to read the series that Spindrift was based on. Got that? So far both are good, but I give the edge to Steele right now. Though it is hard to compare a collection of short stories to a novel. Not that I won't try.

Do you have a favorite place to buy books?

2 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

A Dave Barry signing at an independent bookstore sounds well worth the drive! The last independent non-used bookstore I went to was a couple hours away, for a John Scalzi signing.

Fun captcha word: mognaps!

Mike said...

Karen: It was! A Scazi signing would be too. It's a nice place.

Mognaps! I was in a band named Mognaps. :)