Friday, February 1, 2008

Bad Idea?

My wife and I are running a 5K in Lake Geneva this weekend. We thought it would be a good idea when we signed up months ago, something to keep us motivated to run during the winter. There is nothing that sucks the will to run out of you more than the sun going down at 4pm and a cold wind howling all the time. We live in the Chicago area, it is like that most of the time from November through March. My hope was that we'd get lucky and have a warm spell this weekend. Nothing could be farther from the truth. We got about 7 inches of snow at the house last night and the roads are still sloppy. Of course, it was almost 50 degrees outside Tuesday. So close! I hope the roads are cleared out on the course, I don't want to wipe out and break something.

We can't back out of the race either, we are staying at my dad's house with the kids. You don't want to disappoint grandparents, you might need them later. Also, we bought some winter running gear to be prepared, we have to use it now. What other time am I going to wear my bank robber-running mask? The plan is to go check it out, if the course looks dangerous we are going to take our packets and go back. At least we are going to give it a shot. This race gave us a reason to go on the treadmill, even when we'd rather watch TV and have some ice cream. Plus, it will be a good base for the Shamrock Shuffle. It better be warm by the end of March! Wishful thinking, I know.

No comments: