Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sugar and spice

Did you know that salt does not cancel out pepper? Of course you do, but I didn't know that as a kid. I remember being at my step-dad's store and having scrabbled eggs from the microwave. I thought it was so cool making them in the microwave, remember this was in the late 70's early 80's, it probably took longer than making them on the stove. Anyway, I was by myself and I put some salt on the eggs. It came out much faster than I expected. So, I put extra pepper on them. But it was to pepper-y, so I put more salt on them, I think you can see where this is going. I think I would have died from the amount of salt on the eggs if I tried to eat them. I didn't want to waste them though, so I just sat there for a few minutes looking at them deciding what to do. Luckily, someone (I can't remember who now) came along and told me to toss them. Why am I writing this? I don't know. I think the last thing I wrote was too serious, so I'm trying to lighten the mood.

Let's see, what else do I do that was stupid...

I used to get mad at my brother for pointing at me. Almost every night we would have a snack before bed, sometimes it was cereal, sometimes ice cream, never anything healthy. Come on, it was the 70's, sugar was good for you then! We had assigned seats at the table, my brother sat at the end of the table because he was left-handed, I sat on his right. It was the perfect set-up for him. He could eat with his left hand, and rest his right hand on the table and point at me. That's all he would do, but it would drive me crazy. I would try to ignore him, that's what my mom would tell me to do when I complained, but it never worked. He'd just start wiggling it around until I couldn't take it anymore. I would yell at him, loud enough for my mom to hear of course, he'd get yelled at, I'd be told to ignore him, then I'd go back to reading the back of the Cocoa Pebbles box. All was good, until the next night. He only did it during the night time snack; no witnesses then. He was no dummy.


No comments: