Friday, March 14, 2008

Embarrassing music

I've been thinking about some of my music choices over the years, then I saw Wil Wheaton posted about his iTunes list and Florinda at 3 R's posted about 80's music on the "oldies"station, and I figured now is a good a time as any. (That should probably be 2 or 3 sentences, but we'll leave it alone).

Before I go on I'll say one thing; these are embarrassing to me, you might like the songs or albums I list. I expect some people will. Also, I'll admit, when I hear these songs today they bring a smile to my face. It reminds me of a simpler time, when people grew their own food and buffalo roamed through the plains.

I'm not proud of some of my music choices. I think my first album was ABBA's Voulez-Vous, I'm pretty sure I saw a commecial for an ABBA album on TV and I bought that one. Actually, I'm sure my parents bought it for me; I was probably about eight. (I just looked up the date of release. I was ten. That makes it worse!) I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I wanted the album because it had two "girls" in the band. Really, that is the only good excuse I can make at this time.

I know I had some bad 45's, too. I had Hall and Oates' "Private Eyes." The song might be about a stalker, but I'm not positive. Another good one was "Turning Japanese" by the Vapors. I don't think the song title is very politically correct and probably would be changed if it were released today. I had ELO's "All Over the World" that, I believe, had "Xanadu" on the B-side. It was from that great Olivia Newton-John movie by the same name.

Lastly, I had several of the K-Tel Starburst records in the late 70's and early 80's. Nearly every song on those was embarrassing, and I liked them. I remember and Andy Gibb song, "(Love is) Thicker Than Water. " I can still hear that song in my head. Get it out!

My most embarrassing memory? Well that would be roller skating in my friend's basement with the song "Undercover Angel" blasting on the radio. Ugh.

So, what embarrassing music did you own?




2 comments:

Florinda said...

I think we've all got embarrassing music in our pasts, especially if we gre up in the 70's and 80's.

By the time I hit high school, I literally disowned some of my most embarrassing stuff - gave it away (the ABBA albums - it wasn't just you) or decided it just belonged to my sister and not both of us (the Barry Manilow albums).

I actually saw Hall & Oates on tour in 1983; I don't think they really are all that embarrassing.

But I can't outdo your most embarrassing memory. Congratulations. :-)

Mike said...

Thanks! Sometimes I think I should keep some things to myself. I guess it's more fun this way.