Monday, March 10, 2008

What happened to the soap?

When did foam soap take over the world? Is it only in the Chicago area, or nationwide? I first noticed it when the kids were getting older and we bought them some of their own soap and it was foamy. It made sense to me; the kids aren't good at working up a lather. Now it is everywhere.

I'm going to go on record and say I don't like it. I feel the process of working up a lather is a big part of getting your hands clean. With the foamy soap I worry that germs are still lurking in the creases of my hands since I didn't have to work so hard with the soap. Because of this fear, I end up using way too much of the soap. I pump the thing twelve times and end up with a mound in my hand that reminds me of Richard Dreyfuss' mashed potatoes in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. With soap I use the philosophy of WWAMD. What Would Adrian Monk Do? I don't think he'd like foamy soap, therefore I don't like foamy soap.

Now, don't get me wrong. I was all for the transition to liquid soap from bar soap. The soap slop that ended up in the soap dish was gross. Nothing like getting grossed out as you are washing your hands, then you throw the soap bar in the dish so you don't accidentally touch the stuff.

I swear I'm not a germophobe. I just like my hands to be clean. Years of working in restaurants and changing diapers will do that to a person.

Am I the only one?

No comments: