Monday, March 24, 2008

I read too many scary books

I read mostly science fiction, suspense, and horror. It's what I started with when I was younger (not the horror), and I just kept with it. I had an active imagination when I was growing up and I think those kind of books tapped into that imagination. I'm no longer afraid to go into my mom's basement, but when you think about it, wouldn't it be cool if there were monsters living down there?

Anyway, to the point of the post. The other day as I was taking my son to school I realized we forgot his lunch. Not a big deal, the school is close, so I told him I'd go get it and drop it off. As I was driving to the school, I happened to notice a black Escalade behind me; those cars (trucks?) are hard to miss. I didn't pay much attention to it though until I noticed it was behind me again on the way back. I noticed the same handicapped decal hanging from the mirror and the guy driving. I thought it was an odd coincidence, but it was on a heavily traveled road, he could have dropped something off up the street. I stopped into Walgreen's on the way home, and as I turned in the lot I saw the car drive passed and continue up the road. I thought it was odd, obviously since I was paying attention to it, but again, busy street. I went into Walgreen's, walked to the back to find the pop I want to get, and turn to leave.  I see a man in the aisle that I swear was in the black Escalade. I'm wasn't positive, but I was pretty sure. I went up to pay and walked outside. The black Escalade was parked right by the door. The same handicapped decal in the windshield. I got in the car and headed home watching the rearview mirror.
The car didn't show up again.

 So, what did I do the that Feds are after me? Did I post some secret information on my blog unknowingly?

Now, I know it was all a coincidence and everything, but really, what are the chances? I told my wife about it when I went home. She thought it was weird too. I told her that if I look out the window and that Escalade is out there I was going to call the cops. It wasn't. I'm safe. For now.  (Start creepy music)

I really should post in the middle of the night...

6 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

If you disappear mysteriously, whom should we notify?

Mike said...

Karen: I don't know if it will matter. Did you ever see the TV show 'Nowhere Man' with Bruce Greenwood? It will be like that, mysteriously nobody will know who I am. Not even my family. :)

Jenn said...

Two things:
1) I don't know if I thought the situation was weird or you were a little weird.

2) I think you need sleep.

Florinda said...

I don't really read scary books, but I have had that same sense of paranoia... Even though you know it's coincidence, you wonder why the unknown person in the car behind you seems to have the same travel agenda.

Jenn may be right about you needing some sleep, though. :-)

Anonymous said...

Feh. Sleep is overrated, and that's when they sneak in and bug your house. Never sleep. At least sleep in shifts, if you must.

And don't laugh at my tinfoil hat! The tinfoil hat has many uses.

Remember, Mike: Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Mike said...

Florinda: I think you hit the nail on the head. And yes, I do need some sleep.

Unfocused: Got it. I wrote down your ideas, memorized them, then ate the paper. Thanks for your help.

Jenn: we already talked. :)