Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Spring break, yeah!

Last night was my last working day until spring break is over for the kids. My wife and I split up the time off this year. We are both off together tomorrow, then she goes back to work on Thursday. No going to Daytona Beach for us.

I only took one spring break trip ever. I went with a friend to his sister's house in Albequrque during our senior year in high school. It was a lot of fun; mostly because we were on our own for the first time. No parents, no rules. We were rebels I tell ya.

My favorite memory of the trip was driving up to Colorado to go skiing. This was the first time I ever went skiing in the moutains. Being from Illinois we were lucky to have a hill to sled down. The problem was that I wasn't good skiing on the little hills in Illinois and southern Wisconsin; these were actual mountains. Born from the tectonic movements of the Earth millions of years ago. The place were people tend to ski 40 miles-an-hour into trees. I wasn't ready for it. To make a long story short, I wiped out, fell on my hand, and possibly broke a bone in my hand. I'm not sure since I didn't go to the hospital, but the green and purple hue my hand took on the next day lead me to believe a break may have been possilble. But, I was able to hold a pole the next morning, so we went out again. And I fell again. On my other hand. I gave up after that and hung out at the bottom to wait for everyone else to finish. My thumb still works, so I guess I'm OK.

In college I never had the money to go on a spring break trip. I paid for half of my schooling so I had to work. My favorite job was library security. Yes, you read that right. I didn't get to carry a weapon, but I had a clipboard to write down you ID number if you broke the rules. The best part of that job was that after 10PM my boss left and I was "in charge" until closing time at 2AM. I mostly read books and did homework during that time. Not a bad deal.

Back to my point. Even if I had the money I don't think I would have gone to the spring break hot spots. I've seen it on TV and it's not for me. I'm not saying I didn't drink and go to parties in college, but I don't like big crowds. A big crowd of drunk people is even worse. Maybe it's me now. Maybe I'm too old and my memory is clouded. But, I don't think so. I'm just not a spring break guy. No offense Daytona. It's nothing personal. (People still go there, right?)

1 comment:

Valtool said...

I'll be back to read in detail - have to head out to a church thing now, but I'm glad you made your way to www.rockingthe80s.blogspot.com and that you will become a frequent guest and commenter.

Valtool