Wednesday, May 14, 2008

It's OK to believe

According to the Vatican, it is OK to believe in aliens. Fox Mulder will be happy to hear that. (found on Dave Barry's blog)

A few quotes I like:

"How can we rule out that life may have developed elsewhere?" Funes said. "Just as we consider earthly creatures as 'a brother,' and 'sister,' why should we not talk about an 'extraterrestrial brother'? It would still be part of creation."

The Bible "is not a science book," Funes said, adding that he believes the Big Bang theory is the most "reasonable" explanation for the creation of the universe. The theory says the universe began billions of years ago in the explosion of a single, super-dense point that contained all matter.

But he said he continues to believe that "God is the creator of the universe and that we are not the result of chance."


I am not going to go off on some religious rant here, but I am glad to see that the Director of the Vatican Observatory, Rev. Funes, doesn't think that The Bible is a science book. I hope everyone listens to him. I'm tired of hearing about dinosaurs roaming the earth 6,000 years ago.

I wonder, why did they come out with this now? Do they know something? Should we expect aliens to be landing in Vatican City soon?

This story made me think of the Space Pope from Futurama. I don't know why.





4 comments:

Florinda said...

I read that somewhere yesterday too. Maybe if the Vatican can reach such a progressive stance on extraterrestrials, there's hope for some of their other official positions. Maybe.

Perhaps some day the fundamentalists will recognize that the Bible isn't a science book either. I actually have more hope for the Vatican...

Mike said...

Florinda: Let's not ask for too much at one time. It took them how many hundreds of years to say this. :)

Carly said...

LOL

Excellent! I couldn't agree more! As for what the vatican might know that we don't, well, I think we all know... don't we? Tee Hee.

Just Carly :)

Anonymous said...

News Flash! Religious leaders approve belief for which there is no scientific evidence!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.