Friday, May 30, 2008

Weekend Assignment #218: Fun, Fun, Fun

Since I missed out on the last Weekend Assignment, I thought I should get an early start on this one. For this Weekend Assignment Karen wants to know what we do for fun.

Weekend Assignment #218: What do you do to have fun? Since you're reading this blog, let's assume that one of your leisure activities is blogging and reading blogs; we don't need to rehash that one, nor the subject of books, which we covered just recently. What else do you do for fun? Are you a runner, a hiker, a birdwatcher, a surfer? Or do you prefer to lie on a beach? Is cooking a joy rather than a chore? What do you enjoy doing, when you're not doing the usual stuff?

I have a few things that I like to do. I like to play golf. I'm not great at it, but I usually have a good time. I like getting outside and trying to get that stupid ball in the stupid hole. No, I never get irritated while I play it, why do you ask? I really do enjoy it though, it's one sport that you can play even if you aren't all that good at it. For the most part, you are playing against the course, not other people. Plus, you get to see nature, get a tan, and get drinks from someone who drives out to you in a cart loaded with food and drink. It's like having a butler following you around. Did I mention it's a sport?

I do some running, too. I run 5K's once-in-awhile, and I'm planning on running a 9.5 mile race in early fall. That is going to be tough. Part of it I do for fun and part I do to try to get into, and stay, in shape. I would say the races are fun, but sometimes the training runs can be a drag; mostly because I'd rather play golf, or sleep.

I don't get to do it much anymore, but I do like video games. I have a Playstation 2 that I like to play when I can. I mostly play the war games or some of the sport games. I can play a mean round of golf on the Playstation! I don't get to play much, but my son and I will play Lego Star Wars. He isn't that great at it so I have to take control of his character sometimes. We play to win, you know. Now that the fall TV season is over I will probably play some more at night.

Extra Credit: What fun thing (no restrictions) do you plan to do next?

I don't really have anything planned. My wife is going out of town next week so  I am going to rent some "guy" movies, but that really isn't fun. I'll try to think of something to do.

There you have it. What do you like to do?

11 comments:

DC said...

I like to play with my dog. I really like spending time at my friend's house playing his Wii since I don't have one of my own yet. It's pretty addicting. I like watching sports. And since I'm in L.A. I'm happy that the Lakers won the western conference finals. I like to read and spend time with friends. I'm sure there's plenty more, I just won't fill up your comments. :)

Mike said...

dc: That's quite a list! Actually, I was talking about the Wii with a friend at work. She wants to get one to play along with her kids. Sounds like a good idea to me!

DC said...

The Wii is so much fun! Just the sports games it comes with are enough to keep us entertained! The tennis is the best. And we get really into it so, we get a mini workout. I'm actually headed to my friend's place to play later on.

Oh, I like to travel too. At least the few chances I get to do it. Usually within the US, but I go somewhere every year. Headed to your neck of the woods again in December because I really like Chicago. I know it's going to be cold! Last time I was in Chicago was also in Dec. (brrrr) And also going to Wisconsin (double brrrr). I'm planning on going to Ireland next year.

Sorry, for the comment rambling, but I'm leaving soon so, to kill time I'm browsing blogs and comment harrassing everyone. :)

Mike said...

dc: I've heard of people getting Wii wrist for playing hard. I'm afraid if breaking something in the house. Or myself.

Florinda said...

I like miniature golf, but I don't guess that counts, does it?

I've never been into video games, although my stepkids have a Wii...and it does look kind of fun.

Anonymous said...

Why would you rent "guy movies" if you don't think it's fun? I don't get it.

Mike said...

Florinda: Mini golf counts. It's fun and can be very frustrating too! :)

Applebonkers: what I meant was that wasn't fun because I was only doing it since I was going to be bored by myself once the kids go to sleep. Plus, the movies I end up getting don't always turn out to be so good.

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Oops! Sorry, Mike! I forgot to stop by when you first posted.

Your happy frustration with golf reminds me of my friend Dr. E. One day, years ago, I mentioned to him the idea of my taking up golf as a fun, low-impact form of exercise. He advised me not to! I'm sure this wasn't a medical opinion, but the result of a recent frustrating day on the links!

Mike said...

Karen: No aplogy needed. I know you are busy anyway. I bet you are right about your friend. That is why I like the first round of the year. My expectations are very low. :)

fdtate said...

I've never much understood the whole point of golf. I've had fun the couple of times I've played (my average is about 217), but I still don't understand it. Didn't someone once call it "a good walk spoiled"?

Mike said...

ftdate: Many people don't understand. It's one of those things, for me at least, that I want to master. I get frustrated, but that is because I get competitive and want to beat my best scores. I was the same way playing soccer, i'd get pissed when I lost the ball and end up chasing the guy down. For both sports, even if I didn't do well, I felt like I accomplished something when I was done.