Thursday, August 27, 2009

Weekend Assignment #281: Writers or Actors

Karen asks a good, but tough, question this week.

Weekend Assignment: #281: Who has a greater impact on your decision to go to a movie or watch a tv show, the actors you see on the screen, or the behind the scenes writers, producers and/or directors?


I've been thinking about this since I first read Karen's post this weekend. I don't think I have a real clear-cut answer.

I am leaning towards the writers and directors. As Karen says, they bring the idea to the show or movie. They create the world, the characters and most everything about a movie. Without them you would have people walking around and making stuff up the whole time. It would be the world's worst improv session.

Now, I'm not saying actors don't bring anything to a movie or TV show. I've watched plenty of movies where it would fall completely apart without the actor that was involved. Think about it, can you imagine anyone else besides Sigourney Weaver as Ripley? Try to imagine Kevin Kostner as Indiana Jones. It's doesn't work, does it? So, yes, actors can bring something to the table, so to speak. There needs to be the right chemistry to make the character work that was originally created on paper.

See, it comes back to the words. It always comes back to the words. So, my final answer is I pay more attention to the writes and directors. (Sorry, Millionaire is back on TV.) Now, can a writer or director make a bad movie? Oh yes, I think we all know that. I'm thinking of a few movies right now. Some that are pretty recent and made by legendary directors and writers. Can you guess? Search your feelings, you know the answer.

Extra Credit: Who is your favorite actor?


Wow, this is a tough question. I don't really have an all-time favorite. There is no actor out there that will make me see everything they have done. I will list a few that I like and have seen a few of their works. (Yes, I said works.) Let's see, Harrison Ford, Bill Murray, John Candy, that's all I have right now.

Now, go see what the others had to say over at Karen's site.

2 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Your entries always make me laugh. "Search your feelings," indeed! And I love the idea of actors without writers as bad improv. Great post, as usual!

Mike said...

Thanks Karen. Now I have to work on an LOL dog. :)