Friday, August 7, 2009

When did we start keeping track of this?

I saw this image of the poster for Funny People and it really got me thinking. When did we start keeping track of which number film a particular writer/director is on?

Now, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Jupp Apatow. I like his movies. I'm a big fan of Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared, and he seems like a decent guy. He really does. But I don't know why I need to know which number film of his were are on.

Did we always do this? I first remember hearing this when the commercials started for Quentin Tarantino's last movie. "The fourth film by Quentin Tarantino," the voice announced. Really? Number four? My how time has passed. Wait, let me open up my spreadsheet. Okay, so this is number four for Mr. Tarantino, he only has about 30 more to catch up to Speilberg. He needs to get moving. Also, do I need separate columns for producing credits? What about any scripts he's only punched up uncredited? And why didn't they say which number it is for Inglorious Basterds? I'm going to lose count if they don't keep telling me!

If I ever get a new job I'm going to make sure that I put which number job this will be for me on my resume. That will really get future bosses interested.

Am I the only one that thinks this is stupid?


1 comment:

Florinda said...

No, you're not the only one who thinks that this is stupid. I'm also annoyed by those "From the people who brought you (some equally stupid movie)..." promos. I get the feeling branding has gone too far.