Sunday, October 19, 2008

Weekends, they go by so fast

It really feels like it should still be Saturday. This weekend went by way too fast. Well, at least I don't have to work tomorrow, so I guess you could say it is still like Saturday night for me.

Saturday was jam packed with activities. It started off by my alarm going off at 7:00am reminding me that I signed up to run a 5K that I was not really prepared for. I hit snooze twice, each time trying to decide if I was going to run it or not. Finally I decided I should. I've been a slacker lately and it was time to get my butt in gear.

I had my clothes ready the night before, but I didn't think about how cold it was going to be in the morning, so I forgot to hunt down my sweat pants. I think I spent 20 minutes looking for them, each minute getting more pissed because I knew I had just seen them. Eventually I gave up and grabbed my running tights, I'm not a big fan of wearing them in public, but I felt I had no choice. Then, just as I was grabbing my keys, I saw something out of the corner of my eye. It was my sweat pants. They were in the laundry room, which I had checked 10 times, hanging up on the little rack we have. Obviously, I failed to look there.

Anyway, I ran the race. I don't have an official time (my watch said 30 minutes exactly. What are the chances of that?) to share with you, but I stuck around a while after the race to see if there was an outside chance I was the only one in my age group. The race was small and I thought I might get an award. Hey, that is the only chance I'm going to get one! I had to leave before an announcements where made. I needed to be home by 10:30am to go to my son's school. To help out with Market Days.

I don't know if Market Day is everywhere, so I'll exlain quickly. You can order food, usually frozen, through them and the school gets some money. It's a nice way to get some food and help out the school at the same time. Since we had to help out, I had time to go home, change, then go to the school. You'll notice I didn't mention shower in that last sentence. Yeah, I tried to stay downwind from everybody.

We had to unload the truck, count all the contents to make sure we have everything ordered, separate the food into each person's order, then get the food from the gym to the front door for people to pick up. I was getting kind of tired by the end. I was really second-guessing my decision of running before helping out with everything. But hey, it's for the school, right?

We finished up there and got home just before 1pm. I gave the kids some lunch, had a little snack myself, then streched out on the couch for a little while. See, we weren't done yet.

After my brief nap, we got the kids bathed, then cleaned ourselves out to go out to dinner. Yes, Jenn and I got to go out to dinner. By ourselves. Neither of us could remember the last time it was just us at dinner. Where did we go you ask? Why "The Most Romantic Resturant in Chicago" of course. It's called Geja's Cafe . Let me tell you a little bit about it.

It's a foundue resturaunt , first of all. It's small, and dark, and crazy busy. They take reservations for 5pm. That's it. After that it is a free-for-all. You could get there at 7pm and wait an hour or three, you never know. But, it was fun. Jenn and I have never done fondue before, so we weren't quite sure what to get. We ended up getting the a combination of beef, chicken, and various seafood. If you know me at all, you know I didn't touch the seafood, but Jenn said it was good.

Like I said, we never had fondue before, so I spent the first few minutes at the table scoping out the other people. I wanted to see what they were doing so I knew how to eat and not look like a fool. I think our server noticed my nervousness and made sure she told us how to do everything. A few small notes, since I know I am getting kind of long-winded here. The cheese sauce appetizer was much different than I expected. I didn't expect the cheese to taste good with apples, but the sharpness of the cheese played off the sweetness of the apple nicely. (Wow, I sound like a restaruant critic there!) Another thing, I knew we had to cook our own meat, but I had no clue how that was going to work. Until the server came over and lit the giant vat of oil that was sitting on the table. I'm sure there were other spices, or something in the vat, I just don't know what they were. I know I over cooked some of my meat pieces, but since it was so dark I couldn't tell by looking at it whether it was cooked enough or not. I wasn't taking any chances. As I've mentioned before, I am very paranoid about under-cooked food.

The best part, or at least close to it, was dessert. There is nothing like a pot of chocolate to make me happy. As a bonus it comes out with a liqueur on it that they light on fire, then you can roast some marshmallows over the flame. I don't remember the last time I had roasted marshmallows, but these were perfect. I had just the right amount of burnt marshmallow on it to hold the shape while the center was a gooey mess. Perfect!

I should mention that this whole evening wouldn't have been possible with out Jenn's sister and boyfriend watching the kids at their place and buying us a gift certificate in the first place. Thanks Guys!

Oh, so today was spent doing some clean up, mostly by Jenn, and some relaxing. And walking the dog a couple of times.

I'm glad I have tomorrow off to rest. How was your weekend?


dc said...

My weekend was pretty laid back. Just ran some errands on Saturday and had a few drinks with a friend on Saturday night.

Sunday...well, was the greatest day of the weekend since I got to see my Rams make the Cowboys look like a pop warner team!

Now, it's back to work...ugh!

Mike said...

DC: I figured with the Rams winning like that you had a great weekend!

Did you crack open the skull vodka yet?

dc said...

Not yet. I'll probably try it this weekend or next.