Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A visit from the tooth fairy


first lost tooth
Originally uploaded by Mike F.
My son lost his first tooth over the 4th of July weekend. He's pretty excited about it; now every picture he takes he makes sure the gap is visible. He thinks he's so old now.

The tooth had been loose for a while, actually when he first told us it was loose (he said wiggly) Jenn and I thought he was making it up. There were a few kids who lost teeth in his class, so we thought he was just pretending it was loose so he'd be like his friends. He wasn't making it up. Aren't we great parents?

On Thursday I had him show me who loose it was, he was able to bring it down 90 degrees to his gum line. It seemed like only a small part of the tooth was connected to the front of his mouth. So I had him try a few things to get it to come out; bend it backwards, twist it, bend and twist. Nothing worked. I asked him if he wanted me to tie it to a doorknob, he laughed and said no way. We let it go that night.

The next day I was at work and he called me to tell me it came out. He was so excited his voice was two octaves higher. From what I can tell it basically fell out when he got up to go to the bathroom. The tooth fairy gave him some money and Jenn hid the tooth in her jewelry box. How long do you have to keep a child's first lost tooth? Do you give it to them on their wedding night? You know, something old?

8 comments:

bluegame said...

Mike,
HE IS SO DARN CUTE!WHAT DID NANA SAY? HE TOLD ME TWO MONTHS AGO IT WAS LOOSE. HE WAS TELLING THE TRUTH! WE DOUBTED HIM. WHAT KIND OF AUNTIE AM I? SO CUTE. I WILL CALL HIM THURSDAY NIGHT WHEN I GET HOME. JUST GOT IN FROM PAINTING THE FENCE A NIGHTMARE WITH ALL THE BUGS!

Florinda said...

That first gap-toothed grin...it's almost as cute as the first grin before there are any teeth at all :-). What's the Tooth Fairy's going rate at your house?

My husband has the kids' first lost teeth in the safe. I have no idea what plans he has for them.

DC said...

I don't think my parents still have my teeth. I do remember they tried to be different and instead of a tooth fairy we had a tooth mouse (I don't know why). One night I remember instead of money I got a note from the tooth mouse that said "I.O.U" with a mouse paw print. Even then my parents were all about messing with us. I eventually got my money the next night.

Mike said...

Lori: Sounds like you had a fun day. He's got another loose tooth now, I checked right away this time.

Florinda: We gave three dollars. That's probably too cheap but what does he need money for anyway? We'll give more for the top front teeth. Isn't that how you are supposed to do it?

DC: The tooth mouse is kind of a neat idea. Though the IOU probably wasn't funny at the time. :)

bluegame said...

mike,
wendy says you have to check it right away and wiggle it. She laughed when she found out cuase he was telling us it was loose and No one believed per Andrew. I have your blog on my Blackberry. I am at a meeting till 5pm and back to the dreadful bugs and heat! Miss you guys! Doing dinner at Moms soon? We are due for a chinese Deluxe. Johns Patio lookis like house & Gardens I get Depressed when I see mine... Oh well Thats not my Talent! I quess just retail. Lunch over...,

Mike said...

Lori: we can do dinner soon. Does it have to be Chinese from that place? ;)

Anonymous said...

Junior claims to have loose teeth all the time, especially when his sister has one; your skepticism was perfectly reasonable.

I have all of Unfocused Girl's dropped baby teeth in my nightstand drawer, each in its own envelope, and notes about the date and circumstances of the tooth's departure from her gums.

As I write this, I realize how dorky that sounds.

Mike said...

Unfocused: It's not dorky to save her teeth. Separate envelopes with descriptive notes might put it over the edge though. :)