Sunday, July 20, 2008

Weekend Assignment #225 : Rut Breakers

I'm in a groove now, or is it a rut? -- Face Up, Rush

I wasn't sure I could follow along with Karen's assignment this week. And I guess, technically, I'm going to be a little behind.


Weekend Assignment #225: What are you going to do this weekend (or on your next day off) that's different from what you usually do? Make plans to break out of your usual routine, and tell us what they are.


I was not off this weekend, and Jenn works all week, so we are going to break the rut this coming weekend. Next Saturday we are going out to dinner with my friend from grade school and his wife, who happened to go to my high school.

That might not seem very exciting, but for us it is a major rut breaker. With two kids under seven, it is not often that we get to go out to eat, or anything else, on our own. I think out last child-free dinner was about a year ago with the same couple. I think we are due.

Before I wrote this up, I was asking Jenn what the last movie we saw in the theater by ourselves. We are pretty sure it was Star Wars. No, not the last one, Attack of the Clones. Yeah, it's been a while. We never got to see the new Indiana Jones movie, and I don't have high hopes for the new X-Files movie either.

There have been times when we do some things on our own when the other stays home with the kids, but those aren't very common either. And they are not quite the same.

Extra Credit: What else would you do that day, if you had the time and the money?

I don't know, go to a nice hotel, get a nice dinner? Nothing else comes to mind right now.

So that is my exciting rut-breaker. What about you?

6 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Excellent, and yes, you're well within the "rules"! Have fun! (Come to think of it, we never made it to the Indy movie, either.)

Anonymous said...

My weekends are always different so, not stuck in any rut here.

Glad, you and the wife will at least be able to have one night to yourselves.

Mike said...

Karen: Good! I didn't want to break the rules. :) I hope you get to see it before it goes away. Though it will probably be around a little while yet.

DC: Thanks. We are looking forward to it.

Florinda said...

Hey, you can't spell "routine" without "r-u-t." (That's actually the title of my post for this assignment, although I didn't do anything dramatic to break my rut either.)

Enjoy your all-grownups night out next weekend! It's very true - when you have kids and full-time jobs, routines are a way of life, and it's tough to shake them off sometimes.

Mike said...

Florinda: That's a good one. I need to remember that. I'm really looking forward to it. We've been trying to plan this dinner for a long time.

Kiva said...

For a man with several small children that is definitely breaking the rut. We enjoy giving our kids a break and babysitting the wee ones while they take some "grown up" time.