Friday, January 11, 2008

Weekend Assignment #198

The new weekend assignment is up over at Karen Blocher's blog. Go over and read her assignment and write your own. Thanks Karen!

Weekend Assignment #198: What is your favorite thing about winter? Whether you love this time of year, hate it or merely endure it, you should be able to find something good to say about the season. What is it?


I had to think about this one for some time. I'm not a fan of winter, living in the Chicago area doesn't help, so I thought about this for a few hours before I posted.

I think the best part is just after a fresh snow. Especially a first snow of the season. I'm not talking about a blizzard, just the first snow that drops about 5 to 6 inches of snow, just enough to cover the lawn and sidewalks. I like how quiet it is, with the snow absorbing all sounds of the neighborhood. You can be out shoveling your driveway, yet feel like there are no people around for miles.

Until the snow plow comes down the street, dumps wet, slushy snow at your feet, and the feeling is gone.


Extra credit: What do you hate most about winter?


Without a doubt, I hate the cold the most. Not when it is in the 30's or even the 20's, but the teens and below zero. I feel like I never get warm, even in the house, and I don't want to go outside. If I need anything at the store I wait until the cold snap breaks. We've been lucky this year, I hope we stay that way.

No comments: