Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Ten on Tuesday: 10 Favorite Olympic Athletes

Hey, I'm actually getting Ten on Tuesday done before 6 o'clock in the evening for a change. Let's see if I can come up with 10 Olympic athletes.

1. Bruce Jenner. Didn't he seem like an average guy out there for some reason. Of course, I was seven what did I know? He gets some points deducted for his reality show though...

2. Carl Lewis. He was winning all his medals when I was in grade school and in track. I wanted to run as fast and jump as far as he did. It never happened.

3. Nadia Comaneici. I don't think I ever heard of Romania before she won.

4. Mary Lou Retton. My wife had to meet her at the airport for work once. She lost her, but that is another story.

5. Mark Spitz. I was really young when he won, but he was still well know when I was learning to swim. Like Carl above, I never was as good.

6. Jesse Owens. He should be higher on this list, but it is random order anyway.

7. I guess I should add Michael Phelps. I haven't paid much attention to swimming in the last 25 years or so. I did this year.

8. Speaking of swimming. Dara Torres. I got sick of everybody mentioning she was 41 every single time. How about she is a good swimmer. No need to mention age, am I right?


That's about all I have. Anyone want to add some?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't watch the Olympics. The only one I can think of is Mary Lou Retton. She was the one that inspired me to be a gymnast when I saw her during the 84' Los Angeles Olympics. Of course, I gave up that dream about 2 years later.

Mike said...

DC: I know. What's the deal with these athletes making us think we can do things that we really can't. There should be some kind of law against that. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree on what you said about Dara Torres. I guess it's also because she was swimming head to head with Cate Campbell that's why.

I guess most of us included Michael Phelps. I did, too! Check the entire list HERE. Thanks!

Florinda said...

You came up with 8 more than I did - I skipped this week :-). Just couldn't get in gear for the topic. I'll be all over it next week, though, with "10 Things You Didn't Like About School" - even though I mostly did like school.

Mike said...

Jenn: thanks for stopping by. Maybe you are right about Dara.

Florinda: Yeah, I could see that. It was hard to come up with 10. For next week though...