Monday, June 2, 2008

Book Binge -- I guess...

I signed up to be in the book binge because I thought it would be fun to read what I like, tell people what I read, and see what others read. I'm always looking for new authors, or books, to try out. The problem is that I failed miserably. May was probably not the best month to do it. Work was busier than normal because I was working with a new program we are testing out, and the house was busier. The kids had a lot stuff going on and our puppy, Quincy, does not like me sitting still while I read. (Yes, I'm blaming the dog). Enough excuses here are the two whole books I read:

Duma Key by Stephen King. This one was 600 pages, can that count as two? It wasn't my favorite King book. It seemed to drag a little in the middle. I actually put it down for a while while I read the following.

The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction: Vol 2. edited by George Mann.
It's a book of short stories, I hope that counts.
I like most of the stories, but there are a few I'd like to point out. Neal Asher has two stories, Mason's Rats: Black Rat and Mason's Rats: Autotractor, which I liked. I have never read his work before but, based on what I can tell, this is may not be the first of these stories of sentient rats on a farm that, at first, bother the farmer, then they end up working together. The were both fun stories.

The other story I wanted to point out was Evil Robot Monkey by Mary Robinette Kowal. The title itself made me want to read it, but the story was different than I expected, and better for it. It is about a chimp that has an implant that allows him to much smarter than average chimps. He can talk, as well as other things, but the story deals with the struggle within the chimp as he is not human, but not quite a chimp anymore.

There is my pathetic list. I'll do better next year. I wasn't going to post this, but Florinda made me. Go here to see what others read.

9 comments:

DC said...

I need to start reading again. I haven't read a book in months.

Florinda said...

So it's Quincy's fault you didn't read much, and mine that you had to tell about it, huh :-)?

Hey, I haven't read a book anywhere near 600 pages long in years. I would count that one at least twice, maybe 2.5 times. And I'm not much for short stories generally, but that sounds like an interesting collection.

Mike said...

DC: I haven't much either, as you can see.

Florinda: You don't expect me to take responsibility for my own actions, do you? :)

I think I can round up to an even four, don't you?

Anonymous said...

The last 600+ book I read was one of the Harry Potters, forget which. In fact, weren't a couple of them over 600? Impressive tomes.

My husband loves Stephen King, too. And sure, short stories count -- the page count only has to be over 125, so, with that enormous King to your credit, you're well away.

Mike said...

Maryp: I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books but I thought they were all huge. I guess I could check them out in my son's room, but I'm too lazy.

Did you husband read Duma Key? Did he like it?

DC said...

That story about the chimp you wrote about reminded me of Oliver, what was thought to be a human chimp. He very much looks and acts like he was a half chimp/half human. His story is on youtube, if you type human chimp. Very interesting.

Mike said...

DC: yeah, but was he evil? :)

Florinda said...

MaryP is right about the Harry Potter books - the last four are all over 600 pages. I guess I forgot that, because they don't feel long; I always hated to get to the end.

Mike said...

Florinda: I know what you mean. I think IT was even longer, but didn't seem like it.