Sunday, June 8, 2008

Rattle, bump, sqeak

I've been paying attention to noises a little closer for some reason. Take our bathroom door for example, when you close it at the right speed, it sounds like a cat. Not a little like a cat, but so much like a cat that you think one walked into the house and followed you in the bathroom. Or one is trapped in the wall. Speaking of which, we did have an animal trapped in our wall in our bathroom several years ago. A guy came out and the noise had stopped so he said it was probably gone now. He thought it might be a chipmunk that found a crack in the foundation. It seems he found the same crack out. Good thing, I've hear stories of how bad it smells when an animal dies trapped in the wall. Think about that next time you go to bed!

The June bugs are out. At least that is what we call them around here. They are flying beetle-like bugs, light brown in color that can land worth a darn. Have you ever watched one fly? All they do is bounce off of things. All night you hear these little popping noises on the windows and walls, it sounds like someone thrown small rocks trying to get your attention. They can't even land on the ground. They just fold their wings and drop to the ground. Very elegant. I guess they taste good, too. At least our dog thinks so.

Now for the bad noise. Our car is having some issues. I think it is transmission related, which is never good. Basically, when driving above 45 mph and you give the car moderate acceleration, it rumbles underneath and won't really go faster. However, if you are light on the gas it is fine. Very irritating. Of course, the car is just about paid off, and out of warranty. Oh well, we'll see what happens. Good thing I don't do a whole lot of highway driving.

Now, about that growling noise I hear under my bed at night...

4 comments:

Florinda said...

I hate when cars don't behave the way they're supposed to. Too often, it's a sign that they will soon cost you an unanticipated, and sizable, amount of money.

Years ago, an animal died inside the walls of my then-boyfriend's mother's house. The smell was horrendous.

That growling noise under the bed is whoever has been following you, of course :-).

Mike said...

Florinda: That's what I'm afraid of. I have hear very bad things about that smell. I was ready to tear into the walls to prevent that.

You think that could be it? Now I'm really scared. :)

DC said...

The title of your post reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where George put the tape recorder in his briefcase to record what was said about him after he left that meeting. They were using similar words to describe the recording. :)

Mike said...

DC: I remember that one. They probably know how to spell 'squeak' though. I can't believe I have it wrong in the title. Oh well, I'm going to leave it.