Saturday, June 7, 2008

Weekend Assignment #219: Preferred Transportation

Time for Karen's Weekend Assignment. Today we are going to talk about favorite method of transportation.

Weekend Assignment #219: What is your favorite form of transportation, and why? You can choose any means of traveling by land, sea or air, with just one catch: it has to currently exist in the real world, or have existed in the past. No TARDIS, no Star Trek transporter, no flying DeLoreans, all right?

I wonder if that last line is directed at me. I was going to say jet-pack. Did you see the guy who was dropped out of a plane along with the winged jet-pack? Wouldn't that be cool? It would take two minutes for me to get to work! I could drop the kids at school by parachute!

Okay, I guess I'll talk about realistic stuff. I would say car is my favorite. I drive a station wagon right now, but I really want a sports car. A Porsche 911 to be exact. Is that going to happen? No, not unless I win the lottery. Anyway, I like driving because I am in control; I decide direction, speed and music (for the most part).

My favorite drive so far was on the road to Hana on Maui. It is a very twisty, narrow drive with many blind turns and steep drop-offs. Doesn't that sound fun! Okay, so the driving part was a little stressful, but the scenery was great. There are a lot of places to stop and see waterfalls, and the views from the road are spectacular. This is one road where I really need to be in control. There is no way I'd be able to do this in the back of a van, or the passenger seat. I'd probably get nauseous from all the turns. I recommend this drive to anyone who goes to Maui. Just plan for it to take the whole day. You don't get much over 25 miles on hour on the road.

If I knew how fly a plane my preferred method would probably change to flying. I wanted to learn to fly as a kid (my step-dad had a plane) but I never learned. It's too expensive now anyway. But, I know it would be fun!

Extra Credit: What's the most unusual form of transportation you've ever taken?

The only things I can think of are horse-drawn carriage and a cable car in San Francisco. Not that either are unusual, especially if you live in San Francisco.

11 comments:

Carly said...

Hi Mike :)

Cable Cars are kinda fun. Especially if you are on one of the steep hills. I should take a ride, and then post a photo of how it looks. There are some stunning views of the bay to be seen. :) I imagine flying a plane could be fun, I would like to be in control. The idea of an ultralight plane appeals to me more, no hideous death from fire if something went wrong. LOL.

Have a good week!

-Carly :)

Mike said...

Carly: I guess you could glide to safety in an ultralight. I'd be too scared to fly one. I don't like heights. :) I can see how it would be fun, though.

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Okay, the road to Hana has just been added to my list of things to do before I die. I love dramatic driving!

DC said...

I once took a hover craft to the moon.

No, wait...yep, that was just a dream. Nevermind.

Mike said...

Karen: You have to do it! It us a very interesting, kinda scary, drive.

DC: I think I had a dream like that, too.

Florinda said...

Forget the jet-pack. I'm waiting for them to perfect the transporter. (That comment is partly inspired by the fact that Tall Paul is watching a Star Trek rerun right now.)

That drive in Maui sounds awesome. Someday I may actually get to Hawaii...

Mike said...

Florinda: The transporter would be cool, but wouldn't you be a little scared? I wouldn't want to turn into Brundel-fly.

Yes, go to Hawaii. It's not cheap, but it's totally worth it.

Anonymous said...

I like a nice drive, too, but your mention of Hana hits on what I DON'T like - if I'm in a beautiful place, I want to just be able to look out at it and enjoy it. The California coast roads are like that - spectacularly gorgeous, but you have to be driving so carefully that you can't just drink it all in.

Mike said...

Kristi: You're right, you miss out on a lot. We pulled over in some spots to get a good view. But if you try to see too much while driving you may end up going over a cliff.

Kiva said...

I love Porches. My uncle bought one in 1955 and it got handed down to all his children, their children, and their children's children. I even got to drive it for a year. Unfortunately in 1984, one of the 16 year old cousins totaled it. All that was left was the Ghia sign which he kept to hand down to his kids!

Mike said...

Kiva: That was nice of your uncle. I don't know if I would do it. :) That's funny that he kept up the tradition by passing the emblem down. :)