Thursday, June 12, 2008

What? Speak up. I can't hear you. I went to a concert last night!

I hear ringing. All night I heard it, and I still hear it now. That's OK, I went to see Iron Maiden, I expected this. Woo! Iron Maiden Rocks! Up the irons!

Okay, I'm exhausted. Why did they have to come on a week night? They are old enough to know better. All their fans are old now, we (mostly) all have jobs to go to in the morning. I think once a band's fan base reaches a median age of 35 they should only schedule concerts on weekends. Sound good? Who's with me? You need to say it louder, I can't hear you! Scream for me Chicago! I heard that a lot last night.

It was a very good show. I got to relive my high school days for a while; until about 10pm when I was wondering if I could make it in bed by 11pm. The crowd was quite a mix, some older than me, some teenagers, and some who brought their kids with them. I found that very interesting, most kids hate their parents music. It's automatic, it's built into the genes of a kid. Somehow, though, they were able to break through genetic programming and share an evening listening to heavy metal together. See what music can do?

So get this. We were having trouble getting to the main floor. Every time we'd go to an entrance the person there would say we had to go to a different one. This happened three times, and was very frustrating. Finally, we got to the right entrance, I walked in and stood on the landing waiting for my friends to finish their beers. As I was standing there I saw someone walking up to me out of the corner of my eye. I thought he was coming to tell me to keep moving. Instead, when I turned toward him, the guy was holding out his hand smiling at me. It was my principal, and teacher, from grade school! I couldn't believe it. I've known him since kindergarten, and my mom knows him well, but I haven't seen him in a long time. It was very strange. We talked for a few minutes, but he had to check people's tickets. I'm pretty sure he assumed I was drunk, based on a comment he made, but that's okay; I'm legal now.

Anyway, It was a fun night, but I could really use a nap.

Iron Maiden! Woo! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

5 comments:

DC said...

Ah, the ringing the next day! Good times!

I often find myself looking at the time and evaluating how much sleep I'll be able to get. I'm going to my friends place tonight to watch a basketball game. The game should end by 10, factoring in the drinking, I'm trying to figure out what's the earliest I can get to sleep and still be functional tomorrow.

Glad you had fun!

Mike said...

DC: That never works for me; when alcohol is involved. I tend to feel I need less sleep the more beer I have. :)

Florinda said...

OMG, I thought you were kidding. You really saw Iron Maiden last night. Can you hear me now?:-D

Running into your old principal at a heavy-metal concert must have been pretty surreal.

And yeah, I have to agree on the weekends-only idea for concerts.

Mike said...

Florinda: Why would I kid about something so important? :) like I said, I HAD to go. There was really no other choice.

Yes, it was very strange to see him there. I'm sure he felt the same.

bluegame said...

Mike,'
You muist be beat!!! Did you see Mr Straylee??? WhO????