Saturday, April 5, 2008

Weekend Assignment #210: Speechifying

Before I get into this weekend assignment I should post what was real in last weekend's assigment. My grandparent's did have cabins on a lake that we visited all the time. There was a sand pit and I did fall, but I caught up with my brothers and we just kept going. It is much more exciting the other way.

Ok, on to this week's assigment from Karen at Outpost Mavarin.

Weekend Assignment #210: It's been 40 years since the Mountaintop speech, and even longer since the great speeches of John F Kennedy, Winston Churchill, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln and others. Are the days of great oratory behind us, or have you drawn inspiration from some recent public speaker? If so, what was the speech? Do you remember any actual quotes from it?

I don't think I'm the best person to answer this, but I will talk briefly about the current presidential candidates and what I like about their public speaking.

Barack Obama, in my mind, is a great speaker. He rarely fumbles, or seaches for words and he seems to believe in what he is saying. He has some passion when he talks which makes him seem to really care about the country and what we should be doing. I liken him to a manager that is trying to get his sales team to care about the product, and the company, to make them the best sales force possible. I'm not trying to cheapen the presidency by comaparing it to running a company; I'm just trying to explain how I feel about his abilities as a speaker.

Hillary Clinton is quite a bit different. She's more forceful. It seems like she knows you don't buy what she is saying but she's going to keep at it to try and drive home her point. She has passion when she speaks as well, but sometimes it comes off more like anger. Using the same comparison as Obama, she's like a manager who thinks you are all slacking and she is going to get you to see it her way no matter what.

John McCain just seems mad most of the time. He's pissed at the way the country is right now and, he's going to do something about it no matter what the consequences. Again, he seems angry too, but not quite at you, the sales team, but he's ticked at the whole company. And dog-gone it he is going to do something about it.

Does any of that make sense? See, this is why I don't talk about politics much. Oh, I'm not saying who is, or is not qualified to run the country. That is not the point at all. I'm just talking about the feeling I get when I hear them speak.

6 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

That's a really interesting analysis. I didn't want to turn this into a political question, but I suppose it's inevitable, because the speeches everyone is hearing these days come from those three people.

Mike said...

Karen: Thanks. Yeah, it is kind of hard because of the election going on, but someone will probably come up with a better speaker.

fdtate said...

I like your analysis of the candidates' speaking styles. A good analogy.

Mike said...

fdtate: Thanks! And thanks for stopping by.

Kiva said...

I think you've accurately judged their abilities and "anger" is a very good word. What about content? Does anything they said stick in your mind?

Mike said...

Kiva: It's probably my lack of attention, but the only thing that sticks with me is change. They want to change everything, but I'm not sure how.